Several months ago, I was stuck. I was in a miserable situation that I could not seem to let go, but I hated every day of being there. It was literally chipping away at my soul. If something was so painful, why not just leave it you say? I had been in this situation for almost 10 years and it had given me a lot of joy and sense of accomplishment. But the scene had drastically changed and left me isolated and lonely. As I cried on the phone to my personal coach about how depressed I was, she helped me discover the real issue–I was scared. Scared of how I would survive if I left the situation.
We started breaking down all the issues and answering the tough questions honestly. It was very difficult but I was able to come to the conclusion that I had a choice—I could stay in the situation and be miserable, or I could leave the situation, make some lifestyle adjustments, and be happy. I was literally packing up things in preparation to leave when the Universe intervened and released me from the situation. Was the Universe listening to me and answering my question to be freed? I don’t know. What I do know is that my spiritual growth has been exponential in the past six months and I am in a much better situation now that brings me joy and light.
I bring all this up because I just read some great quotes about fear from the blog, theboldlife.com, and I have shared a few below. Are you in a situation where you feel stuck? Are you afraid of making a change? There is always a choice. What wonders could be waiting for you on the other side of that choice? You won’t know until you take the next step on your journey. Be strong, be confident, and most of all, be happy.
1. Fear wants us to become obsessed with some event or person in the future, a year, a month, even a day. It also wants us to look backwards not at our successes, but our short-comings and our failures. Fear losses it’s grip when we stay in the now. ~ Dr. Rob Bell
2. Your story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light. ~ Brené Brown
3. Although fear can feel overwhelming, and defeats more people than any other force in the world, it’s not as powerful as it seems. Fear is only as deep as your mind allows. You are still in control. The key is to acknowledge your fear and directly address it. You must step right up and confront it face to face. ~ Marc and Angel
4. Depression, pain, and fear are gifts that say, “Sweetheart, take a look at your thinking in this moment. You’re living in a story that isn’t true for you.” Living a lie is always stressful. And investigating a lie through The Work always leads you back to who you are. Who you are is not an option. You are love. It hurts to believe you’re other than who you are, to live any story less than love. ~ Byron Katie
5. The Ego, however, is not who you really are. The ego is your self-image; it is your social mask; it is the role you are playing. Your social mask thrives on approval. It wants control, and it is sustained by power, because it lives in fear. ~ Deepak Chopra
6. Many of us live our lives out of the fear of what other people think of us. We’re waiting for someone to give us a permission slip that tells us it’s OK to be ourselves. Don’t try to be fearless or pretend you aren’t impacted by fear. Just try to prevent fear from making your decisions for you. ~ Chris Guillebeau
7. Your fear is just as boring as mine is. Everyone’s got the same one. It is not precious. It is not special. It is not singular to you. It’s just the one we all got wired with when we came in. Focus on your unique qualities that deserve to be celebrated and put fear back in its place. Don’t listen to it. Onward. ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
8. Do you live in a mine field or a garden? When we live in a minefield mentality, we explode with the weeds of worry, doubt, fear, lack and limitation. Choose to cultivate your inner garden! ~ Michael Bernard Beckwith
9. On feeling fear: Stand fully in the now moment with gratitude, enthusiasm, openness, and readiness to respond to life as it greets you. ~ Michael Beckwith
10. God gives you the sight, the right, and the might to do great things, but you have to develop the fight! Courage doesn’t happen without fear, doubt, and unbelief; courage overcomes all of these things to get the job done. How do we knock off fear or doubt out unbelief? Simple faith in God. ~ Tim Storey
11. The thing that I’m just scared to death of is that someday I’m going to wake up and bore somebody with a film. ~ Stephen Spielberg
12. Fear sells, and it sells big time. The main staple of the sales industry is fear. The more frightened a person or even corporation is about things, the more likely they are to buy what they perceive as a solution. ~ Tim Brownson
13. Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of. ~ Angelina Jolie
14. Going to a fearless place in your imagination will show you clearly which decisions still have fire and energy, and which lose steam without anxiety as their fuel. The former are endogenous—meaning they arise from your inner essence, not from external pressures—and they’re the foundation of every great leap. ~ Martha Beck
15. It’s easy to take off your clothes and have sex. People do it all the time. But opening up your soul to someone, letting them into your spirit, thoughts, fears, future, hopes, dreams… that is being naked. ~ Rob Bell
16. Here is my biggest takeaway after 60 years on the planet. There is great value in being fearless. For too much of my life, I was too afraid, too frightened by it all. That fear is one of my biggest regrets. ~ Diane Keaton
17. Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing. ~ J.K. Rowling
18. The greater part of human pain is unnecessary. It is self-created as long as the unobserved mind runs your life. ~ Eckhart Tolle
19. Because the truth is, that is the hardest part. And ironically, that is the one big thing standing in your way. Just executing. Nobody can argue with execution. Once you’re getting shit done, you’re on your way. But taking that first step can be terrifying. I get it. I really do. Fear of failure can take over. And lots of us have this fear. ~ Gary Vaynerchuk
20. Much of our anxiety and stress comes when we’re focused on fear and disconnected from the voice of our inner guide. ~ Gabrielle Bernstein
21. If you don’t do what Fear says…you’ll go ahead and speak up, you’ll sign up, you’ll buy, you’ll sell, you’ll jump. ~ Danielle LaPorte