WHAT CAN I EXPECT AT MY FIRST REIKI SESSION?
The first appointment begins with conversation and an intake form. We will discuss what brings you in for a session and what’s currently happening in your life. Please keep in mind that privacy and confidentiality are maintained at all times. I subscribe to the IARP Code of Ethics posted in my interview room and adhere to them without exception.
I will ask about any sensitivities to smell or touch, and explain what you can expect from me during the Reiki session and answer any questions you may have.
A Reiki session is performed on a treatment table and you, the client, are always fully clothed. Blankets and additional pillows are available to ensure your comfort. During the session, clients are encouraged to relax and inform me if anything makes them uncomfortable, either physically or psychologically. Please feel free to speak up during the session! I prefer to talk to you before and after the session, usually not during, as I want you to relax as much as possible.
Post session, we will reconvene in the interview room. I will provide a preliminary summary of my findings during the session. If you want to share your experience as the client, it is always welcome. Within a day or two, I will email you a detailed “Reiki Recap” with my observations and recommendations.
After your appointment, you should drink plenty of water, eat well, and spend some quiet time in solitude. Most feel relaxed and peaceful after a session and want to hold onto those feelings as long as possible!
Subsequent appointments are quite similar: conversation (reason for session, current life situation), Reiki session, post-session conversation (experience, findings). A “Reiki Recap” is emailed after every session.
WHAT MIGHT I EXPERIENCE DURING THE SESSION?
- Overall it should be very peaceful, as talking is minimalized or eliminated, and relaxing music is played.
- The mind tends to quiet down.
- Yummy smells from candles and essential oils may be used to promote stress reduction and relaxation, however if you are sensitive to scent these can be eliminated and will not impact the session.
- Some clients report seeing colors or images, or they feel the warmth of my hands, or experience tingling sensations.
- It is OK to fall asleep! The benefits of the session occur asleep or awake.
HOW MIGHT I FEEL AFTER THE SESSION?
- Some say they feel “lighter”
- Some are sleepy while others are energized
- Overall you should feel amazing!
HOW DOES A DISTANCE/REMOTE SESSION WORK?
Due the nature of Reiki and the universal energy it employs, Reiki sessions can be enjoyed even if the practitioner and client are not in the same room. Through the use of Reiki symbols and proxies, I can bring the benefits of Reiki to anyone, anywhere.
I start by emailing the client an Intake Form to complete, asking them to be very specific as to why they are requesting a session—the physical, emotional or spiritual reasons, and to describe what is currently going on in their lives. If desired or necessary, a phone conversation can be scheduled to discuss items further or ask questions. Once I receive the completed form, we schedule the session.
I request that the client book a time where they can lie uninterrupted for about 20-30 minutes. They can choose to have their own gentle music playing, or just enjoy the silence. This is not necessary for the Reiki healing to happen, but who couldn’t use a little downtime?
The only thing different about my remote session is that a teddy bear is on the massage table, not the client! I go through all the same room preparations, including music, lighting candles, and smudging with sage to clear the space.
- I write the client’s name on a card, and if available I have a picture of them handy.
- I go through a short ritual using the card, picture (if available) and Reiki distance healing symbols to prepare the teddy bear as a stand-in for the client.
- Once completed, I go through all the same scanning and hand positions on the teddy bear as I would for a client.
- I end the session by using additional Reiki symbols and clearing the teddy bear of any energy so it is ready for the next session.
Finally, I write up my “Reiki Recap” detailing my observations and recommendations and email it to the client. I am always happy to schedule a phone call to discuss the Recap further if requested by the client.